Music in the Mountains inspires and connects people of all ages through extraordinary classical music performances, community engagement, and music education.
At MIM, we are passionate about music, and classical music in particular!
- SummerFest is the only classical music festival in the Sierra Foothills. For three weeks in June, over a hundred musicians come together to create almost a dozen programs of world-class music at the beautiful Nevada County Fairgrounds. The renovated 600-seat Amaral Center and the great lawn provide the perfect setting. Where else can you hear the amazing Beethoven’s Ninth and the music of Queen with a seven-piece band, full orchestra and several choruses? Our annual Patriotic Pops on July 3 is a Nevada County tradition, drawing 2000 young and old alike.
- MIM keeps classical music alive throughout the year in smaller, more intimate settings and venues, both with chamber performances and a focus on our 90-voice auditioned chorus.
- Despite the perceived elitism in classical music, MIM asks nothing more than for the audience to lend us their ears. Classical music conveys the full range of human emotions and experience. One does not have to “get” classical music, and in fact, sometimes it’s the least experienced listener that has the most profound experience.
- Woven throughout our organization is our commitment to music education. MIM’s multifaceted education curriculum has programs in nearly every Nevada County public school. We balance in-depth initiatives such as our unique Young Composers Project, and broad-reach programs, such as Take 5 for Music Listening Program where for five years, children listen to five minutes of classical music every school day. Young artists take the stage with the orchestra in our Side-by-Side program, and the Young Composers Project premieres 23 new works played by professional musicians.
- We were closely with Nevada County school districts, local music teachers and parents in advocating for the importance of music education. And where the schools cannot provide for lack of budget, MIM steps in to help come up with solutions that benefit families. Such programs include our Classics for Kids concert, Take 5 for Music, Link Up in conjunction with Carnegie Hall, Peers for Peers, and Music Live, all of which bring classical music to school age children. In total, MIM education programs reach over 4,000 students each year.
- Through our education programs, we touch the lives of over 4000 Nevada County youth. Our concerts draw an annual attendance of 5,000, and we have a volunteer force of over 400 through MIMA.
- MIM is growing. We are working at bringing more innovative education programs to children, and are continuing to respond to the desires our community by presenting more extraordinary music throughout the year, and in partnership with other performing arts organizations. And at the same time, we are creating a more flexible business model that allows us to better respond to the needs of the community.